Analyze – Edit – Compare – Find – Visualize PCB
Import/Export ODB++, Gerber274x, Excellon with PCB-Investigator
These data formats work with all CAD design tools.
e.g. Mentor Graphics, Zuken, Visula, OrCad and Altium.
PCB-Investigator Ultimate | PCB-Investigator Electronic Developer | PCB-Investigator Fabrication | PCB-Investigator Basic
- With Change tracking
- By comparing different indices & versions of your PCB.
- To bring together all developing departments
- With an effective information exchange. Benefit from license-free software with integrated PCB data and everyone is on the same information level.
- Bringing your hardware into service
- As visual support for finding nets, components, test points and connectors.
- Optimize your EMC analysis
- By means of definable color codes for single nets.
- With Bus optimization
- By means of purposeful presentment of connections and components.
- Optimize Assembly
- By powerful distance measurements.
- With Heat analysis
- By finding Hot Spots easily. Load the printed circuit board data and deposit pictures of your heat camera.
CAD / CAM Functions
- File loading with auto recognition of file type (ODB++, Gerber274X, Excellon1/2, Sieb & Meyer)
- Direct loading of compressed Zip/Tgz files
- Different export options (ODB++, DXF, CATIA-Script)
- High resolution image export (tiff, jpg, png, bmp)
- Integrated screenshot function
- Multiple selection possibilities
- Change Tracking by automated graphical layer comparison
- Three drawing modes included (Filled, Outline, Both)
- Size info drawn directly into all objects
- Advanced measure modes
- Pictures can be imported and displayed behind the real CAD data
- Panel data view
- Selection of a net according to the net list (export option to IPC356)
- Layers/Objects can be moved, rotated and mirrored
- Layers with different offsets can be aligned auto
- Attribute histogram for all objects and components
- Bill of Material (BOM) with CSV export function
- Special color setup for layer color definition
- Strokes (mouse gestures)
- 3D View of the PCB
- Quick-Info with integrated Stack-Up View
- All tracks can be labeled with their net names
- Non-selected objects can be drawn transparently
- Individual colors can be assigned to each object
- And many more – see our Plug-In overview
- Microsoft Windows 8/7/Vista/XP/2003
- Microsoft .NET Framework 4.0
- Watch videos and tutorials
- Check out all Functions PCBI has to offer
- Download PCBI documentation
- Find out more about all available Plug-Ins
Automated Optical Inspection
In the manufacture of printed circuit boards, the automated optical inspection is an important step to find defects in the production and to fix them if necessary. For this purpose, PCB data is pictured in a black and white image, scanned and compared to perfect parts.
With the AOI Plug-in you can create high-resolution bitmap graphics with 1bpp. A variety of settings guarantees an output according to your wishes and thus a fault analysis according to your requirements.
For example select the layers you want to be inspected and avoid an unnecessarily long analysis. Or display only a selected area of the layer. To allow a problem-free comparison, define the DPI value to adapt the data set to the used camera and to the DPI value of the compared part.
The background color can be changed according to your needs as well. The export, however, is not limited to a black-white-coloring and to a restricted resolution pixel grid. With “Anti-Alias” you have the possibility to use grey values for soft edges. Thereby the graphic is displayed in 8bpp. To increase the performance, the plug-in uses muti-threading technology and ensures a fast and detailed export of images with 10.000 DPI and more.The background color can be changed according to your needs as well. The export, however, is not limited to a black-white-coloring and to a restricted resolution pixel grid. With “Anti-Alias” you have the possibility to use grey values for soft edges. Thereby the graphic is displayed in 8bpp. To increase the performance, the plug-in uses muti-threading technology and ensures a fast and detailed export of images with 10.000 DPI & more.
When developing circuits with more than 30V, certain security parameters will need to be considered. For leakage current prevention the layout must meet minimum distance requirements as those defined in a series of standards such as DIN EN 60664 VDE 0110, IPC2 221A or UL60950-1.
It is a highly complex issue - for leakage current properties of insulation materials, the degree of pollution needs to be considered and whether expected non-conductive pollution may temporarily develop conductivity through condensation. It gets even more exciting for applications involving much greater voltages and risks of damage such as for drive technologies.
The automatic leakage current Analysis in PCB-Investigator calculates the shortest distance from the outer edges of the conductive components to one another and to the outer edge of the board. This also considers uncoated drill holes (e.g. mount drill holes) and indentations which otherwise would be too time consuming to calculate manually.
Results are displayed as 3D graphics for better interpretation. At the same time, many measurement errors made during manual analysis are avoided. For example, paths that lead around the edge of a board or around drill edges in a flatter angle are really measured diagonally instead of the very often simple right angle manual measurement. For thicker stacks, such deviations can be significant.
The results of the creepage distance and clearance analysis is shown as a percentage of the specified distance parameters. For each calculated path segment between two points of contact, the software determines what proportion of the specification has been achieved. If it is less than 100% the vulnerable path is highlighted in the analytics Report.
Ensure the functional safety of your PCB design by using PCB-Investigator's Creepage Analysis for your layout review!
Physics-Thermal Analysis / Current Simulation
PCB-Investigator Physics is the perfect tool to simulate the physical behaviour of your Printed Circuit Boards during the development phase. It enables you to find thermal hotspots, critical trace resistances and voltage drops that are too high, even before prototyping begins!
With the built-in editing functions of PCB-Investigator Physics it’s even possible to optimize the layout and stack-up to achieve the best possible physical behaviour with only a few clicks!
Save valuable time and prototype costs with the Thermal Analysis and Current Simulation of PCBi-Physics!
To get information about the physical behaviour of your Printed Circuit Board during operation, the Thermal Simulation and Current Flow Simulation of PCB-Investigator Physics enables you to simulate the following physical properties:
- The Temperature raise at each location caused by power loss of components or by high currents
- The Current Density, e.g. at copper bottlenecks or in drills
- The Voltage Drop and Copper Resistance between any pins on any layer